Sunday, November 20, 2011

Don't Change A Thing!


Ok so let me start by saying that I'm all about self improvement. In my mind change is actually a really good thing.. I like it, I love it, I embrace it, I say Bring on the change! BUT only when you're changing for yourself. Whenever you change it has to be for the better and it has to be for you and no one else.

I think a lot of us fall into the bad habit of changing who we are just to please others; I myself have done it a ton of times! I was never really myself around people, I just always turned into whatever it was they needed me to be. I had this issue with everyone, with guys I wanted to be their dream girl, if he liked a certain type of music that I didn't you better believe I was going to do my research and listen to his fav music! With friends if they needed someone to give them boundries, there I was in mom mode. I somehow thought that filling whatever void they had in their lives by playing a certain role was the right thing to do, I thought it meant I was a good friend. The only problem is I was being a good friend to everyone except myself. I often found myself sacrificing not only who I was but what I believed in, just so I could be "a good friend". I mean I was constantly changing and all the while never recieving the slightest bit of gratitude from anyone. The whole thing was exhausting and dare I say painful. It was awful to feel like no one really knew me.  Then one day it finally hit me, I didn't even know who I was anymore. I'd lost so much of myself in everyone elses needs and expectations of me that I barely recognized who I was. Looking back I'm grateful for that experience because every person I changed myself for taught me a valuable lesson I won't ever forget. Don't change for anyone other than yourself, not for a guy or a friend, or anyone else, because I can tell you from experience it always ends badly! You always end up feeling like you sacrificed too much and hardly got anything in return.

If there's one life lesson you should always stick to it's to always stay true to yourself. Afterall, people  may come and go but your first and longest relationship is always with yourself. So love yourself enough to stay true to who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment